B.SC IN GENETICS
- Guru Nanak Institute of Pharmaceutical Science and Technology (GNIPST) is a premiere genetics college in Kolkata, West Bengal. B. Sc Genetics at GNIPST is a 3-year undergraduate degree program affiliated by Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology (MAKAUT) that prepares students for a broad range of careers associated with the design and implementation of knowledge regarding transmission of genetic materials and its utilization in different practical fields of biological sciences.
- The word GENETICS is derived from the a Greek word “Genetikos” which means genitive/generative. The study of Genetic science expressed how living things inherit the characteristics, inherited properties or features of an organism. A genetically determined characteristic of an organism is called a “trait”. These traits are described by the genetic information carried by a molecule called DNA. Therefore Genetics is defined as the study of heredity and the variation of inherited characteristics, the genetic properties or features of an organism.
Course aims to provide :-
- The Science of Genetics has spread throughout all aspects of biology during the last few decades and it has positioned itself in the central area of great significance in biological science. This invasion of genetics in biology has not only opened the scope in the mechanism of heredity and variation but also extends its area for the study of fundamental biological processes like biochemistry, microbiology, plant physiology, plant pathology, ecology, etc. When the fundamentals of genetics are applied in engineering then it is referred to as Genetic Engineering. Therefore, genetics has a great influence on industrial areas like medicine, agriculture, fisheries, forests, etc.
Career Opportunities :-
- Genetics as a career is in peak demand due to the development of precision based medicine and wellness therapies. Nowadays, people tend to get their genetic profiling done to assess any tendencies for future complications and change their lifestyle accordingly to prevent such conditions. Every field including genetics has a lot of opportunities however your achievements depends upon your interpersonal skills. Students are guided by a qualified and experienced faculty. who are specialized in different fields of life sciences. Design and fabrication projects are also undertaken by the students during the course as a part of their curriculum. Students opt their career as a Genetic Counsellors, Forensic Science Research Associates, Genetic Scientist in Agriculture & Food Scientific, Researcher, Medical Scientist, Scientific Writer, etc after completion of their course.
- The applicant must have passes/appeared/ due-to in current academic year at the Higher Secondary Examination in the general or vocational stream of the West Bengal Council of Higher Secondary Education or its equivalent examination from a recognized board/ University, from science stream with English as one of the subjects. The admission of the candidate would be as per the norms and guidance of Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, West Bengal (Formerly known as West Bengal University of Technology).
Eligibility & Intake :-
10+2 with Science with English as one of the Subject from Recognized Board.
Duration - 3 years
Intake - 30