B.SC IN MEDICAL LABORATORY TECHNOLOGY (BMLT)
Scope and career options :-
- The course of B.Sc in Medical Laboratory Technology deals with diagnosis, treatment and prevention of diseases through different clinical laboratory tests. On the other hand, it may be noted that this course is complementary to the medical science. A student who is studying this course may go through different subjects such as blood banking, pathology, immunology, serology, histopathology, microbiology, human anatomy and physiology, diagnostic applications such as knowledge of PCR, USG, MRI, CT scan etc. These professionals plays an important role between doctors and patients by involving themselves in collection of samples, keeping records of data, analysis and testing of the samples and reporting of the same. Depending on their reports, doctors actually determine the treatment regimen.
- Aspirants of this course may note that the pre-requisite eligibility of BMLT is 10+2 with science subjects with a good score. The duration of this course is 3 years. A medical lab technologist should be disciplined and attentive to their jobs. As they deal with different types of samples as well as chemicals, they should have the knowledge of safety at work station. Other than this, insight in research will also help them to prosper in this field. A basic knowledge in computer will be always helpful for them. If the students want to continue their studies after BMLT, they may opt for MMLT (M.Sc in MLT) which will certainly open up a new avenue for them in the fields of research as well as field of academia.
- Job prospects of BSc Medical Laboratory student of west Bengal include different technical and analytical works in different government and private laboratories. Other than these, they may get opportunities such as manager, consultant, supervisor, administrator, and coordinator etc in different hospitals. There are further opportunities in molecular diagnostics, IVF laboratories etc which involves a basic research. After doing BMLT, the scope of different job opportunities are summarized below.
• CT Scan Technicians
• Anesthesia Technicians, Laboratory Technicians
• MRI Technicians
• X-Ray Technicians
• Dental Mechanics [Technicians]
• Operation Theatre Technicians
• Pathology Technicians
• Optical Laboratory Technicians
• Sleep Laboratory Technicians
• Physiotherapy Technicians
• Plaster Technicians
• Renal Dialysis Technicians
• Radiology Technicians
Eligibility & Intake :-
10+2 with Science with English as one of the Subject from Recognized Board.
Duration - 3 years
Intake - 30